Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sudan


Hi! My name is Shige. I’m living in Sudan since last summer. I studied Arabic in Syria. I have a passionate concern for Islam, but I can’t forget the enthusiasm for Africa. I came to Sudan, because this country is located between Middle East and Africa. What a simple reason!

When my friends learn of my living in Sudan, many of them ask me the security. Since there are few information and little interest about Sudan, they think Sudan is a dangerous country. If someone has interest in Sudan, probably that is in negative things like poverty, civil war and Darfur. This kind of things is featured on the mass media.

We should consider Sudan from every aspect, so I want to write about daily life of Sudanese. It is my role.


Below is basic information.

Sudan lies south of Egypt, north of Kenya and west of Ethiopia.
See the picture.

The population is about 35,000,000.
Sudan is around 70% Muslim, 10% Christian, and the rest believes traditional religions.

Khartoum lies the confluence of White and Blue Niles. White Nile stretch to Lake Victoria, and Blue Nile rises from Lake Tana. The length of the river is 6.550km! If you drive along the Nile at a speed of 65km an hour, you have to drive more than 100hours. Can you imagine this incredible length?

The climate is very hot. Even in the winter, the diurnal temperature goes up more than 30℃. Humidity is low, but the heat is hotter than body temperature. It means terribly hot! Moreover in May, Jun and July, sandstorm sweeps the town every few days. I’m afraid that my PC will be broken. Already my CD player and MP3 player were broken.

Total land area is 2,510,000 sq-km.
Sudan is the biggest country in Africa and the 10th in the world.
1-Russia, 2-Canada, 3-America, 4-China, 5-Brazil, 6-Australia, 7-India, 8-Argentina, 9-Kazakhstan then 10-Sudan

Next time
“Sudanese normal life”

Arabic interpreter
Shige

No comments: