Saturday, July 15, 2006

HighSchool Life in SouthAfrica( School)



This picture shows above is my maths class in South Africa.
This was the day we did not have to wear school uniform!
We had given a theme respectively and we had to disguise ourselves.
And my theme was..."Sumo Wrestler"!!!!!!!!!!!
I wore my dad's Yukata.

Although we were dressed up, we had a "Normal School day"...
It must be looked funny for our teachers!
We also had the days of "pajamas" or"Hero or Heroine in the movies"etc...



My school is one of the local schools in Johannesburg.
It was not public but private school.
90 percent of students are white.
All students wear school uniform.
we have the chapel services twice a week.
There are no school bus and parents take us to and from the school.

★There is the disparity in wealth South Africa.
Black people usually go to the public school.
A handful of black children can go to the private school.
There is the difference in school level between public and provate school.
There is not enough teacher at public school.
We sometimes visit these schools and teach maths, science etc...


In my school...
there is a 3.6km road making a round of the school.
at the time of school starts and finished,traffic congestion always happens.

There are grounds,tennis courts,pool, field hockey grounds...
many school buildings
music block,chapel,library,boys boarding house,hall...

There are many places I had never visited in my school because it's too large!!

★On the other hands, there are many schools with not enough equipment.
There is not enough textbooks and stationaries.
No blackboard.
No clean school uniforms.
The students at public school go to school by walk or mini-bus.
There are many differences between rich people and poor people close to me.


School life.
We have schools Monday to Friday and from the morning till the late afternoon.
We always sit in the sun at lunch time.
and we do each activities after school.

South African people like taking exercise.
There are many people walking or running in the school.

There is a state examination called "Matric"which we take the end of Grade12.
The score of Matric is the key to the students who wish to go to the university.
Therefore most of students aim to Matric since when they enter school.


★I also took Matric exams.
Of course, there are all in English.
I could not speak and write English well when I went to South africa.
It might be the only time I studied so hard in my all life.
But I believe my efforts was not useless.
I was supported many teachers, friends and my family.


I am often asked "how is the school life in South Africa?"
There is not many differences between Japan and South Africa.

Only thing we have to remember is...
"there are many students who cannot be educated same as us"
There is still many disparity in wealth in Johannesburg.

★St.Stithians College HP★
http://www.stithian.com/

No comments: